The British Columbia Personal Information Protection Act is the definitive resource and reference for matters of privacy at Richmond Christian School. The Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) came into effect in January 2004, and sets out how private sector “organizations” can collect, use and disclose personal information. The act sets the rules by which Richmond Christian School can collect, use and discloses personal information from students, parents and/or employees. PIPA also requires Richmond Christian School to protect and secure personal information against unauthorized use or disclosure.
Richmond Christian School shall operate within all guidelines and regulations set out in the Act.
Richmond Christian School is responsible for maintaining and protecting personal information under its control. The campus Principal is deemed to be the Privacy Officer at each campus.
- Should a dispute arise over the use or disclosure of private information the Richmond Christian School Dispute Resolution policy shall be referenced
Personal information means information that identifies an individual. It excludes the name, position of title, business telephone number, business email, and business fax number of an individual as well as publicly available information as designated under applicable laws, such as information available from a public telephone directory or from a public registry.
The collection, use and protection of personal information under the control of Richmond Christian School shall operate under the ten privacy principles:
- Accountability for the policy through the appointment of Privacy Officers;
- Identify purposes for the collection and use of information;
- Consent shall be obtained for the collection, use and disclosure of personal information;
- Collection shall be limited to necessary information only;
- Use, disclose and retain information only for the purposes for which it was collected;
- Accuracy of information will be maintained and updated as changes are identified;
- Personal information will be kept secure;
- Be open and transparent with practices and procedures and in addressing inquiries;
- Provide individual access to personal information that has been collected about that individual; and
- Implement the Dispute Resolution process for any complaint that may arise
Consent - Admissions and Enrollment
Richmond Christian School may assume consent in cases where information is given voluntarily for an obvious purpose. Consent is deemed given when applicants complete an admissions application, enrollment forms or additional documents required to:
- ensure Ministry requirements are met; and
- operate the Society and the school properly.
Richmond Christian School collects and may use or disclose admissions applicant information in order to confirm the integrity of the information provided and/or to request additional information or details from relevant parties identified in the application.
Information collected may be used to:
- Communicate with parents, guardians and students in order to process applications and provide students with the educational services and curricular programs offered.
- Enable Richmond Christian School to successfully perform its administrative functions in the operation of the school.
- Provide health, psychological or legal information in providing certain specialized services or as adjunct information in delivering educational services.
- Create a school directory.
- Maintain contact with alumni and their families.
Disclosure of Information
Richmond Christian School may use or disclose information it has collected to others:
- In connection with the purpose for which the information was originally collected including but not limited to:
- Government agencies and departments;
- Payroll outsources;
- Insurance companies; or
- Advisors or agents of Richmond Christian School.
- As consented to by the individual
- As required or permitted by law
Parents/guardians shall complete and sign a PIPA form each September which will:
- Outline the general nature of the school’s information collection, use and disclosure policy,
- Identify other possible external organizations that may have access to limited student information,
- Identify photograph and student image use at RCS,
- Inclusion in the school directory, and
- Clear instructions on Revocation of Consent for personal information, student images or publication in the directory.
Updated September 2016